Sunday, April 4, 2010

Rereading Doubt

Doubt: A Parable by John Patrick Shanley (ISBN 1-55936-276-6)


Set in the 1960s when allegations on sexual abuse in churches were prevalent, 'Doubt: A Parable' is a play written by John Patrick Shanley challenging audience and readers alike on the power of doubt. Without any evidence or overt action or dialogue that implores Sister Aloysius being sceptical of Father Flynn's credibility as the priest of a Catholic Church and school for she suspects that he is involved in sexual activities with the one and only Negro student at the school. The young Sister James, fresh at the school as a teacher, is roped in by Sister Aloysius to clarify her doubt. However, Father James is defensive, as well as Sister Aloysius is adamant on her suspicion. "What is truth?", the characters doubt; "What is truth?", the audience question, for Shanley writes, "Doubt can be a bond as powerful and sustaining as certainty". 


Often, we ponder about the truth. When shall one believe someone or something, especially when there is no evidence to prove any of our assumptions? When one is in doubt, where do one look to? Sometimes, words cannot explain any doubt or certainty, for it may be just a feeling that only one can sense. In life, rarely do I doubt things or people around me, for I always believe that sincerity is important and it is in every person. But many a time, people fails me. However, I am more disappointed with myself at such occurrences. When things slowly reveal themselves as they are not expected to be, that is when doubt envelopes me. That is when I begin to doubt about myself and others, but things have turned tables - does it matter to have doubt and think through it at this time? Would it be better if I start doubting like Sister Aloysius ahead of time and actions?


Undeniably a good read, 'Doubt: A Parable' is still an enjoyable read even when I read it again and again, for I decided to write a paper on it as a course requirement. I wish to watch a play or film of it in near future.



No comments:

Post a Comment

    Home     About     About me     Reads     TBR/Wish List

Labels